KOLKATA: The Mamata Banerjee government landed in a huge political firestorm on Friday over a directive to build dining halls in state-run schools with more than 70 per cent minority students, drawing accusations of "religious discrimination" from the BJP and other opposition parties.
The chief minister, however, insisted it was an old circular that was long withdrawn but was "dredged up" by an "errant officer".
BJP's West Bengal unit president Dilip Ghosh took to Twitter to slam the government for the directive, calling it a move driven by "malafide motive".
He uploaded a copy of an order issued by the District Officer of Minority Affairs of Cooch Behar dated June 25 to the district inspector of schools seeking details of facilities with more than 70 per cent minority students.
"This is for sending a proposal to the aforesaid department for construction of dining hall for mid-day meal in schools," the officer wrote.
The BJP, which has been doggedly attacking the Trinamool Congress government for alleged appeasement of Muslims, criticised the move, which, it claimed, was aimed to benefit the ruling party's vote bank.
"Why this discrimination between the students on the basis of religion? Is there some other malafide motive behind this segregation? Another conspiracy?" Mr Ghosh tweeted.
Later, talking to reporters, Mr Ghosh alleged the Trinamool Congress government was only interested in working for the development of the minorities in order to secure its vote bank.
"What wrong have Hindu students done that they can't avail of the facility of dining halls?" he asked.
Ms Banerjee, however, claimed it was an old circular that had already been withdrawn.
"This is an old circular which has already been withdrawn. I think some errant officer dredged out an old circular and issued it without the government's knowledge," Ms Banerjee told journalists in her chamber in the state assembly, which is in session.
Though she said she had no recollection of when the circular issued by the Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education Department was issued and withdrawn, the Chief Minister insisted it was non-discriminatory.